The Parque Zaragoza Neighborhood Association represents residents, businesses and others with proximity to Parque Zaragoza, located in East Austin at 2608 Gonzales Street, Austin, TX 78702.
Established in 1931, Parque Zaragoza Park was created as a segregated community resource for Mexican immigrants and has since grown into a cultural resource for the all in East Austin. In 2017, the park was designated as a Lone Star Legacy Park, signifying its prominence in the local community and the State of Texas.
The neighborhoods around Parque Zaragoza have experienced enormous change over the years, and that change is accelerating as evidenced by an influx of new residents and significant urban development. The community usage of the park itself has changed substantially, and while it continues to be used for many activities, some aspects of it have sadly fallen into a state of decay.
The guiding belief of the Parque Zaragoza Neighborhood Association is that the combination of neighborhood heritage and smart, sustainable, respectful development is required to provide a rich, safe and rewarding environment that can be enjoyed by all neighborhood residents.
The Parque Zaragoza Neighborhood Association will initially focus on these broad activities:
1) Community Engagement - to provide a voice to local residents and workers, both old and new, with regard to developments within the neighborhood, and to encourage the community to create and participate in activities for the general betterment of the area.
2) Public Safety - to work with law enforcement, city agencies and organizations and the community to ensure a safe environment for all, improving the quality of life for local residents and businesses.
3) Sustainable Growth - promoting smart development within our neighborhood that is respectful of its impact on the environment and residents’ quality of life.
4) Historical Preservation - recognizing that the East Austin community benefits from a rich cultural heritage that should be celebrated, encouraged and developed.
5) Wildlife Conservation - to preserve the flora and fauna that enriches the lives of the entire community.
Parque Zaragoza's Activities Archives Photos
Come join your neighbors and celebrate our community park's namesake General Ignacio Zaragoza's leadership of the Mexican Army's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862 we now celebrate as Cinco de Mayo! 🇲🇽
Parque Zaragoza Neighborhood’s Future is Strong, According to Survey Findings